It's Time to Step UP
Kidney disease is serious. The depth of its impact on the person and his/her family and rate at which it is increasing as a diagnosis is scary. Yet, often, it doesn't get the level of attention it deserves or requires. It’s time to Step Up means bringing kidney disease out of the shadows and into the conversation; generating attention and funds for support, research, and medical advances on par with the utter relentless nature of the illness.
Why Walk? Your Steps Make a Difference
- Each day, an average of 15 people are told that their kidneys have failed. If this devastating news is given to even one person… it’s time to step up.
- In 2013, 246 Canadians died while on the waiting list for an organ transplantation. If this wait is even a second too long for one person… it’s time to step up.
- Kidney disease is a chronic, life altering illness that not only affects your health but can also affect your emotional and financial well-being. If depression, loneliness or financial burden strikes even one person… it’s time to step up.
Since 1964, the Kidney Foundation’s investments in research and services provided to individuals living with kidney failure have changed a diagnosis of kidney disease from little chance of survival to being able to lead a fulfilling life.
Kidney Walk Details
This event is perfect for the whole family (including children and pets). It is designed for runners, walkers, strollers and participants with limited mobility. Sign up as an individual or form a team (no team member limits!) with friends, family or coworkers. Gather pledges to raise funds and awareness about the importance of organ and tissue donation. If you are unable to walk, consider still collecting pledges and come out to Volunteer OR just come out to enjoy the morning with us. There will be lots of entertainment and some refreshments.
Kidney Walk, put on by The Kidney Foundation of Canada, raises awareness and funds for personal supports and lifesaving research around kidney disease and organ donation. It is the only nationwide event of its kind. It is also a great opportunity for friends and family to rally with or on behalf of their loved one, showing support and meeting others who are journeying through similar health struggles. When people come together at an event like Kidney Walk you realize you are not alone… and on some days that can make all the difference.
How You Can Help
- Participate and Fundraise! Bring your family. Bring your friends. Bring your coworkers. Bring your dog. Rally the troops. Build a Team. Start the conversations to bring this cause into the spotlight. The more people that take part in this event, the more focus we can bring to this important cause.
- Donate! If you aren’t able to participate this year, support someone in the form of a donation in their honour.
- Volunteer! This event would not be possible without the wonderful folks behind the scenes. Previous experience is not necessary, however a positive attitude and willingness to help out is a requirement. Lend us some of your skills, whatever they may be, and we promise you a worthwhile day with a lot of fun and incredible people.
- Become a Corporate Sponsor! The benefits to your company are great! With an opportunity for employees to participate in the event, not only are you demonstrating your social responsibility loud and proud, your staff will have a great opportunity to bond as they step up to support a great cause. Additionally, you will receive name recognition on all print materials, signage and social media.
Want to Chat?
Please contact Erin Gray at 1-800-664-8588 | email@example.com to receive a Walker package, learn more about corporate sponsorship, discuss Volunteer opportunities, or any other questions you may have.