Living with Kidney Disease
Not everyone with chronic kidney disease will progress to end-stage renal disease. There are some ways to prevent or slow down the progression of kidney disease. Many people with CKD find that taking a wellness approach improves their ability to stay fit and maintain a good quality of life.
Wellness is a state of physical, mental and social well-being. Factors that help achieve wellness include:
- A well-balanced diet
- Regular physical activity (ideally 45-60 minutes four to five times per week)
- Good blood pressure control
- Good blood glucose control if you have diabetes
- Stopping smoking
- Managing anemia (maintaining a normal blood count)
- Weight control
- Limiting daily alcohol to two drinks or less
- Taking medications as prescribed
It is also important to learn as much as you can about your kidney disease and to carefully follow instructions from your doctor and other members of your healthcare team.